Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blog Assignment #5

After reading the “six senses” and the beginning of the paper leading up to them I thought of multiple obstacles but before I get into them I would like to cover the MFA being a “coveted” degree. While I have no doubt that in a flat world/global economy the companies that can differentiate themselves from the competition are the ones that will succeed. The important part is that there has to be some kind of balance. If you take into account that Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class and had an epiphany about the fusion of art and technology then I can meet you halfway. But, if it is purely the fusion of art with something why isn’t Ikea furniture in every household. It’s not there because most of it is uncomfortable. Jobs took exceptional technology and presented it in an artful way. So, I am not completely bought into the MFA degree bit.

With that, let’s Segway into the “six senses,” listed below with comments:

Design: I agree that design is important. Consumers are much more educated about quality depending on the product. Someone that is not necessarily artistic may have a difficult time with this one. I know I would.

Story: Content enriched by emotion. From a knowledge management perspective I would imagine that this is where empowerment comes into play, which would be something that would require leadership qualities from the person initiating it. This could be an obstacle.

Symphony: This is all about people skills. This is crucial to build teams that trust one another. 

Empathy: I think that most people can be empathetic.

Play: As we get older we do forget the importance of being able to unwind and be creative. One important note is that a company’s culture has to support play. At my current employer we have an Xbox in the break-room. I’ve never seen anyone play it.

Meaning: I think this also plays into empowerment but could be an obstacle in that there is a lot going from a psychology of personality perspective with meaning. For me personally meaning is fluid. We have to continually refocus ourselves to stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment